Friday, December 31, 2010

Balay sa Dato (House of the Rich)



When I was a child, I would always marvel on the beautiful houses at the nearby village. My parents would call them "balay sa dato."

What does it feel to be in that kind of house? How did they got that kind of house? These run my young mind. My mom then told me, "You study well. Excel in your class and someday we will have that house." My mother is my first mentor. She mold me to be competitive like her. I am her ace. The source of her pride. And one word that leaves a legacy to me from her is the word PLAN. 

Planning became a habit to me that I would do it even while walking or talking to a person. It proved to be effective. Nevertheless, I am not mindful of giving it a big importance not until I saw the very big difference from a family that doesn't plan.

These are their principles:
1. Come what may. 
2. Living a day without tomorrow. 
3. The next day would be the same as the other day. 
4. If you can eat, its good. If not, well maybe we could wait for somebody to bring food.
5. Today's my salary, let's buy all food that we want. Tomorrow, we'll eat air.

I was culture-shocked, very disappointed and angry. I never thought such people really exist until I know it's a common Filipino culture.

Alas! I found it! I finally discovered the secrets on how to be poor forever. On why Filipinos remain to be in poverty.

Now, do I have the right to say that you are poor because you don't plan?




contributor: Eric Tunacao
image: google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment